Marine aircraft disaster: What we know

Marine aircraft disaster: What we know

The county sheriff said that a helicopter was searching for possible survivors in the dark near the crash site in a soybean field. James said the flight was carrying a team from the Marine Base at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. The U.S. Marine Corps later confirmed on Twitter that one of its KC-130 aircraft was involved in the accident. Anyone who happens to find debris or something they believe may be related to the crash should call authorities at 1-800-ATF-GUNS.

The Federal Aviation Administration contacted the Marines when the plane dropped from air traffic control radar while over Mississippi.

"Susan and I send our deepest condolences to the families of the Marines who lost their lives in service to our nation", said Sen.

The plane was based at Stewart Air National Guard Base in Newburgh, New York.

He joined the Marines in 2009 because he wanted to protect and defend the country, his brother Carlo Kevianne tells the Free Press.

However, CBS News reports that familly members of Marine Corps Sgt.

It was the deadliest Marine crash - in the US or overseas - since 2005. "Our men and women in uniform risk themselves every day to secure our freedom". Please keep the families of our 16 fallen service members in your thoughts and prayers. "We mourn their loss and wish comfort to their families and loved ones in this time of tragedy".

Dan Baldassare, a Marine from Colts Neck, New Jersey, was also killed, according to a tweet from Monmouth County.

The plane crashed near a highway north of Jackson, and debris was scattered on both sides of the road, indicating a possible mid-air explosion.

" 'You looked up and you saw the plane twirling around, ' he said". "It was spinning down". While Jones' son was one of the principal witnesses of the incident, as he said the plane was in flames when it went down and caused a big explosion that excretes massive smoke.

Local media outlets at the crash site were expecting an update from officials late Monday night, but Randle said they had no additional information to offer, citing the ongoing investigation.