Global

Trump postpones his 'fake news' awards

Trump postpones his 'fake news' awards

Newsrooms around the country put their preparations on hold after President Trump announced that he would be delaying his breathlessly awaited, inaugural Fake News Awards until January 17th.

The commander-in-chief tweeted last week they'd be given out Monday and "cover Dishonesty & Bad Reporting in various categories from the Fake News Media".

Trump initially announced his intention to name "THE MOST DISHONEST & CORRUPT MEDIA AWARDS OF THE YEAR" (all caps emphasis his) on Tuesday, January 2 - the same day he fired off multiple confounding tweets, including an alarming threat at North Korea that was apparently prompted by a segment on Fox News. "And beyond that, I think we'll have to see what happens", White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters Wednesday.

Trump aide Stephen Miller sparred with CNN host Jake Tapper on Sunday in a contentious interview about the book, the president's tweeting, and CNN's coverage of the Trump White House. "Stay Tuned!", the group said in its tweet.

The US president, in a public defence of his histrionics, on Saturday, went on a Twitter spree, branding himself as a "very stable genius".

Trump says he'll give out the awards on January 17, but the White House hasn't said much about them.

During his tenure as President, Mr Trump has repeatedly claimed the media has been unfair to him.

"For your most dishonest & corrupt media awards of the year consideration", the ad began, including various real quotes, including from Breitbart calling the show "political propaganda", and the New York Post describing it as "monotonous...liberal dogma".